Saturday, January 10, 2009

as it were...

I've discovered that I managed to leave the cord that blends the world between my camera and computer in Atlanta. So, until it finds it's way into an envelope and weathers the trail betwixt an old home and new, I'll have to make due with my macbook's photobooth.

I present to you, a christmas gift...


She is beautiful, is she not!? My dear boy managed to conspire with my family and make her mine.; I couldn't thank them more! She hums... oh, she hums. A fantastic machine, I will treat her well and give her plenty to do!

My first project came but a day into our relationship... I made a day-after-christmas trip to Joann Fabric near my grandparent's house and picked up a few goodies. Pictures will come... but not yet! I need to finish up and ship off before I can let the cat out of the bag.

A project you CAN see... I'll be making 21'' squares for the middle of the round tables for the wedding reception (why 21'' you say? Because I can make 4 squares per every 1.25 yards of fabric that way, most fabrics being 44 or 45 inches wide that is, and I can justify the project knowing that It will only take 10 yards or so). They're 66'' rounds, and will have 120'' ivory table cloths. I wanted something to add a little color and after realizing that making 200+ napkins was out of the question, I settled for 25 squares for the center of each table.

I'll be looking for fun fabrics to use, and the exciting part is when it's all over, I can still use the fabric for other exciting projects! 2 for 1 bonus! I've been swooning over this "wedding ring" quilt (an adaptation of the color wheel quilt in the book Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts) that another bride made using the napkins that she made for her own wedding. So here, you can sneak a peek at my first square, donned with decorative stitch (have I mentioned my new sewing machine?), and below it a picture of the quilt which has stolen my heart!

Enjoy :)



(source: the purl bee)