Saturday, January 3, 2009

the old college try

I'm a bad blogger. There, I said it. I spend free time pouring over other people's crafty blogs imagining that I have the patience to write about my own endeavors. I even started this particular blog last year with those intentions.

I get distracted. I used to write in response to all sort of activities... it made them feel more whole, having the chance to sit and reflect, to tell the story of how they affected me. Perhaps making the time to think and write on these things will become a sort of centering, to keep me mindful of what it is I'm doing, of all the implications that come along with participating in the nature of creation.

I've just moved across the country (vertically). My immediate and extended family who I've been near and close to since the day I was born are all (nearly) in Atlanta, GA. I've just moved to be with my fiance and in-laws-to-be. How in the world do I keep up on the sharing of my life, my crafts, my loves of nature and beauty? I call them of course (and beg them to visit)... but I also urge myself to give time to this. A place where they can come to see what I am working on or dreaming up.

I've finally a solid reason to keep myself at this. Years ago, blogging felt selfish or at the very least, arrogant (who am I that the whole world would want to read what I have to say). More recently blogging became an amazing collaboration of admirable, crafty, thrifty, creative people who I can admire and gain inspiration from. And now, now blogging is even more, it is a chance to root myself, reflect on myself, and connect with those who helped to mould myself.

Bonus: I always forget how much I love to write... this will come in handy as I begin my career as an accountant crunching numbers five days of the week.

Once I uncover the cord to my camera... a peek at a christmas present and projects of all sorts. For now, I leave you with a picture of my very first, made from scratch, gluten free, chocolate banana bread!